Saturday, October 6, 2007

Who Do You Think You Are?

I was fascinated and delighted to watch the BBC's TV programme "Who Do You Think You Are?" featuring the search for the family tree of Alisair McGowan last Thursday (October 4th 2007).

His genealogical journey of discovery had so many twists and turns that the poor man was reeling, as his family tree was uncovered and his Anglo-Indian roots were exposed back to 18th century India.

I was glad that The Indiaman Magazine was able to help with some of the research into this episode, and I was also delighted that we received a credit at the end of the programme.

I have been inundated with emails from readers around the world asking me for copies of that episode. I have contacted the TV Company who produced the programme to enquire if this series of WDYTYA? will be released on DVD. They said that they will let me know.

When I hear from them, I will let you know.

Best wishes
Paul Rowland
The Indiaman Magazine.

3 comments:

Michael Hart said...

Hi Paul,

What a great programme! I was also transfixed by the twists and turns of Alistair McGowan's family tree.

It's good to know that the BBC made use of the knowledge and expertise of the "best" website on the Internet for all things about the British Raj.

Keep up the good work Paul.

Regards
Michael Hart.

Denise Clark said...

Hi Paul,

I am in total agreement with Michael Hart. Thank you so much for keeping us informed about these wonderful programmes about India on TV, It's a shame we can't get most of them here in the USA. However, family members in the UK have offered to copy them for us. Thanks also for creating The Indiaman Magazine's online community. It is heartwarming to know that there are so many other people out there like myself, with an interest in the Raj and ancestry from those days too.

Long may you and The Indiaman Magazine prosper!

My sincere good wishes.
Denise Clark.
California.

Mark Harris said...

I visited your website after seeing the Indiaman magazine mentioned on the BBCs Who do you think you are TV programme.

I have to say WOW! I have obviously been looking in the wrong places for information about my ancestors' lives in India.

I am interested in purchasing some of your ebooks and possibly having some research done in the near future.

I'm delighted to have found you, and look forward to learning more about my family.

Sincerely
M. Harris.